Wind Tunnel

This photograph depicts the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics' (NACA) Langley Memorial Laboratory, opened in 1917 with the first pressurized (variable density) wind tunnel. The laboratory, located in Hampton, Virginia and named after Samuel P. Langley, the third secretary of the Smithsonian, was used to gather precise data on wing shapes.

Location:
Independence Ave at 6th Street, SW Washington,District of Columbia 20560
Identifier:
9A03115
Institution:
Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum