Dr. C. Lewett used this U.S. Army regulation surgeon's case. He served with the 16th Massachusetts Infantry from 1861 - 1864. The U.S. government supplied surgical instruments to each medical officer. They were contained in different types of cases depending upon whether their use was for a major or minor operation.
The safety lamp was used in the powder room of the Cairo to light the magazine. It was placed inside of a box that was part of the magazine bulkhead. It was lined with soldered sheets of copper, and when in use had a few drops of water in it. To throw as much light as possible into the magazine room, the bulkhead opening was covered by two panes of glasses. The glass closest to the magazine was framed and easily removed. A small dome or reversed funnel of copper was placed above the lamp and fitted with a pipe to redirect the smoke.
Copper, wood, L 6, Tube Dia 6, L 29.5, W 25.2, Th 2.4 cm
These Ketcham grenades were discovered aboard Cairo. The grenade has an open hole in one end. The plunger shaft fitted in this hole. They were used in siege operations at Port Hudson, Vicksburg and Petersburg. During the Civil War, hand-grenades were still in the early phases of development. However, they were unreliable because their fuses often made them more dangerous for the thrower than for those receiving the grenade.
This firing mechanism or gun lock is from a 32 PDR (Pounder) Cannon. The navy locks recovered from the Cairo are the type patented by E. Hidden. The gun lock was designed to ignite the charge by the blow of a piece of metal known as the hammer.