This desk was a reproduction of a desk used by President George Washington. It was made from pine boards salvaged from The White House during the 1948-1952 renovations. The White House Ushers presented this desk to President Dwight D. Eisenhower as a Christmas gift in 1954. In the top drawer at the left, Eisenhower kept a card catalog of his personal library.
Bekon Standard Parts & Equip Corp, Fort Worth, Texas
These lights were used to outline the President’s Gettysburg farm helicopter landing pad, a mowed circle in the grass adjacent to the cropland in front of the Eisenhower home. When the Secret Service agents received word that the President was arriving at night in his helicopter, they placed these portable lights around the pad. Eisenhower was the first president to use a helicopter and relied on it quite extensively during his second term for trips back and forth from the White House to the farm as well as to Camp David. Many world leaders were transported by helicopter to the farm including Winston Churchill and Nikita Khrushchev.
Cloth, metal, rock, plastic, glass. H 27.8, L 30.0, W 36.0 cm
Runabout with “IKE” and “MAMIE” stenciled on front quarter panels. Mr. Marvin Leonard of Fort Worth, Texas, in June 1955 gave this vehicle to George Allen to present to President and Mrs. Eisenhower. The four-wheel drive Crosley Runabout was used by the Eisenhowers to drive around the farm. Visiting world leaders such as Churchill and De Gaulle toured the farm with the President while in the Crosley. The Crosley was the nation’s first compact car, manufactured in Cincinnati and Marion, Indiana between 1939 and 1952.