Tarpley Breech-loading Carbine

Creator:
Jere H. Tarpley
Publisher/Studio:
J. and F. Garrett Company

This .52 caliber carbine was invented by Jere H. Tarpley, of Greensboro, North Carolina, who was granted a patent by the Confederate government in February 1863. During the years 1863–1864, it was made by the J. and F. Garrett Company of Greensboro. Tarpley carbines were rare. Only a few hundred were made.

Location:
Constitution Ave. between 12th and 14th Sts. NW Washington,District of Columbia 20560
Identifier:
0.008
Institution:
Smithsonian National Museum of American History

Henry Rifle

Creator:
New Haven Arms Company

The Henry rifle was the immediate forerunner of the famous Winchester rifles. About 14,000 Henry’s were made between 1860 and 1866 by the New Haven Arms Company. The Henry rifle was developed from the Volcanic firearms system and was built around the .44 rimfire cartridge. Both the new rifle and the cartridge were designed by B. Tyler Henry. A basic feature of the .44 rimfire cartridge was the use of a metallic casing, rather than the undependable, self-contained powder, ball, and primer of the Volcanic bullet. Loading continued to be from the muzzle end of the magazine. Although a revolutionary weapon in Civil War service, it was made in relative limited quantities. Quite a few company-size Union organizations, especially those from Kentucky, Illinois, Indiana, and Missouri, carried Henry rifles, purchased at their own expense. This gold mounted, engraved Henry rifle was presented to President Abraham Lincoln. This presentation was probably made in an effort to convince the President of the rifle’s worthiness and obtain his influence in the purchase of these weapons for the war effort. Nevertheless, only about 1,731 Henry rifles were purchased by the Ordnance Department between 1862 and 1865. Two organizations, the 1st Maine and 1st District of Columbia cavalry regiments, were known to have been issued Henry rifles.

Location:
Constitution Ave. between 12th and 14th Sts. NW Washington,District of Columbia 20560
Identifier:
0.009
Institution:
Smithsonian National Museum of American History

Mcclellan’s Pistol

Date:
1850

This first model Colt Dragoon revolver was carried by General George B. McClellan during the Civil War. Colt made approximately 7,000 of these .44 caliber, six-shot repeaters between 1848 and circa 1850.

Location:
Constitution Ave. between 12th and 14th Sts. NW Washington,District of Columbia 20560
Identifier:
0.01
Institution:
Smithsonian National Museum of American History

Colt Model 1860 Army Revolver

This Colt Model 1860 Army revolver was manufactured from 1860 through 1873 with a total production of more than 200,000. It was a six-shot, .44 caliber revolver and the primary handgun used by Union troops during the Civil War because of its reliability.

Location:
Constitution Ave. between 12th and 14th Sts. NW Washington,District of Columbia 20560
Identifier:
0.011
Institution:
Smithsonian National Museum of American History

Remington New Model Army Revolver

Creator:
E. Remington & Sons

E. Remington & Sons of Ilion, New York, made this New Model Army revolver from 1863 to 1875. Approximately 132,000 were manufactured. This six-shot, .44 caliber revolver was the second most issued pistol to Union soldiers during the Civil War.

Location:
Constitution Ave. between 12th and 14th Sts. NW Washington,District of Columbia 20560
Identifier:
0.012
Institution:
Smithsonian National Museum of American History

Colt Model 1861 Navy Revolver

The .36 caliber Colt Model 1861 Navy revolver was manufactured from 1861 through circa 1873. This model is designed much like the Colt Model 1860 but is somewhat smaller due to its smaller caliber. It is uncertain how many were purchased for the U.S. Navy during the war.

Location:
Constitution Ave. between 12th and 14th Sts. NW Washington,District of Columbia 20560
Identifier:
0.013
Institution:
Smithsonian National Museum of American History

1861 Percussion Rifle-musket

Date:
1861

This Model 1861 was the standard rifle-musket used throughout the war. It was originally made by the Springfield Armory, but due to the need for more firearms, the U.S. government contracted with twenty private contractors. It is estimated that about one million Model 1861–type muskets were manufactured during the war. It was a modification of the Model 1855 rifle-musket that eliminated the patch box and the Maynard tape primer. These changes lowered its manufacturing costs and time, both of which were beneficial to a country at war and in need of firearms.

Location:
Constitution Ave. between 12th and 14th Sts. NW Washington,District of Columbia 20560
Identifier:
0.001
Institution:
Smithsonian National Museum of American History

Lt. Rufus King, Lt. Alonzo Cushing, Lt. Evan Thomas And Three Other Artillery Officers In Front Of Tent, Antietam, Md.

Date:
1862

This photograph shows Union artillery officers during the Antietam Campaign. Lt. Rufus King was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions during the Seven Days Battle, and Lt. Alonzo Cushing was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor after being mortally wounded defending his artillery battery at the Battle of Gettysburg.

Description (physical):

Photographic Print

Location:
10 1st St SE Washington,District of Columbia 20003
Identifier:
LC-USZ62-67904
Institution:
Library of Congress

D.R. Miller House, With Family On Porch, Hagerstown Pike, Antietam, Maryland

This photograph shows the Miller house in Sharpsburg, Maryland. The Battle of Antietam commenced as Union soldiers under Major General Joseph Hooker attacked Rebel soldiers in the Miller cornfield, causing severe casualties for both sides.

Description (physical):

Photoprint

Location:
10 1st St SE, Washington, District of Columbia 20003
Identifier:
LC-USZ62-104417
Institution:
Library of Congress

Antietam, Md. Battlefield On The Day Of The Battle

Date:
Sep17, 1862
Creator:
Alexander Gardner, (1821-1882)

This photograph shows the action below as the Union and Confederate armies clashed on September 17, 1862. The Battle of Antietam is the single bloodiest day in American history.

Description (physical):

Glass, stereograph; wet collodion

Location:
10 1st St SE Washington,District of Columbia 20003
Identifier:
LC-DIG-cwpb-00307
Institution:
Library of Congress