Telegraph Wire

Telegraph wire was used not only for the telegraph but also used to bind together gabions which were used by both sides during siege operations. Gabions were constructed of wicker and then filled with dirt and were utilized to strengthen walls in fortifications and battery positions.

Description (physical):

Wire. L: 5", Dia: 1-1/2"

Location:
3201 Clay Street Vicksburg,Mississippi 39183
Identifier:
2010.0001.0006
Institution:
Vicksburg National Military Park

Signal Board

Date:
c. 1862

Signal board recovered from Cairo's pilot house. Copper wires ran to the engine room to work the brass bell. A horse shoe was found nailed to the bottom of the signal board, presumably for good luck, however it was nailed upside down letting all of the luck run out.

Description (physical):

Wood, board. L 91.4, W 28.7, TH 4.5 cm

Location:
3201 Clay Street Vicksburg,Mississippi 39183
Identifier:
2010.0001.0013
Institution:
Vicksburg National Military Park