The Rebels Under Stuart Leaving Chambersburg

Creator:
James R. Chapin

Incomplete sketch. The Confederate Army, led by J.E.B. Stuart, raided and burned Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, on October 10, 1862.

Description (physical):

H: 8 1/8", W: 10"

Location:
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Identifier:
2010.0002.0013
Institution:
American Heritage Archives

Confederate Wounded After Antietam

Creator:
Walton Taber

Reproduction of a sketch of a cartload of wounded Confederate soldiers after the Battle of Antietam on September 17, 1862.

Description (physical):

H: 5 9/16", W: 9 3/16"

Location:
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Identifier:
2010.0002.0015
Institution:
American Heritage Archives

Dead Rebel Gunners At Dunker Church After Battle Of Antietam

Early in the Battle of Antietam on September 17, 1862, General George B. McClellan concentrated his forces on this church in an attempt to prevent General Robert E. Lee's Confederates from advancing further into northern territory.

Description (physical):

H: 8 1/16", W: 9 15/16"

Location:
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Identifier:
2010.0002.0019
Institution:
American Heritage Archives

Guerre d'Amérique

Unknown source. A French caption reads, "Les confédérés, après l’invasion du Maryland, se retirent en emportant le butin pris à l’ennemi." ("The Confederates, after the invasion of Maryland, withdrew, carrying loot taken from the enemy.")

Description (physical):

H: 8 1/8", W: 10"

Location:
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Identifier:
2010.0002.0021
Institution:
American Heritage Archives

Dunker Church Dead

Creator:
Walton Taber

Reproduction of a sketch of a photograph of Confederate dead near Dunker Church after the Battle of Antietam. Early in the battle on September 17, 1862, General George B. McClellan concentrated his forces on this church in an attempt to prevent General Robert E. Lee's Confederates from advancing further into northern territory.

Description (physical):

H: 8", W: 10"

Location:
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Identifier:
2010.0002.0027
Institution:
American Heritage Archives

Pipe Of Jefferson Davis

Date:
c. 1865
Creator:
Kaldenberg and Sons, New York City

The pipe belonged to Jefferson Davis and was used by him during his confinement (1865-1867) at Fort Monroe.

Description (physical):

A Meerschaum pipe, consisting of four eagle claw talons around a pale yellow up-turned bowl. It is 8.5 inches long and weighs 8 oz. There is a silver colored metal band from the tip of the stem. There are bite marks around the tip of the stem.

Location:
20 Bernard Rd Hampton,Virginia 23651
Identifier:
MNRO 0068
Institution:
Fort Monroe Casemate Museum

Confederate Saber

Creator:
Confederate States Armory

This saber has the initials “CSA” between the bands of the brass knuckle guard, and was made by the Confederate States Armory in Kenansville, North Carolina.

Location:
Constitution Ave. between 12th and 14th Sts. NW Washington,District of Columbia 20560
Identifier:
0.022
Institution:
Smithsonian National Museum of American History

Confederate Bowie Knife

This bowie knife was found on the battlefield of Perryville, Kentucky. It is brass mounted and has wooden grips and a blade 12 7/8 inches long. The bowie is usually classified as any large knife with a chipped point. This type of knife was popular from the 1840s through 1865. They were used by United States troops during the Mexican War and on the frontier during the disturbances in Kansas and Missouri in the 1850s. They were also popular with troopers during the Civil War, especially with Confederates, whose arms generally were inferior to the Yankees.

Description (physical):

L: 12.875"

Location:
Constitution Ave. between 12th and 14th Sts. NW Washington,District of Columbia 20560
Identifier:
0.019
Institution:
Smithsonian National Museum of American History

Lemat Revolver

This .42 caliber LeMat revolver has a nine-chambered cylinder and weighs about four pounds. What makes this revolver unique is the addition of a second smoothbore barrel, of approximately .63 caliber, underneath the barrel. This larger barrel was designed to fire buckshot. The top of the hammer was fitted with a pivoting striker that could be rotated to fire the .42 caliber rounds or changed to fire the lower, larger barrel. This percussion revolver was designed by Dr. Jean Alexandre Francois LeMat, of New Orleans. LeMat was assisted in this enterprise by P. G. T. Beauregard, one of the Confederacy’s well known generals. These revolvers were manufactured from 1856 to 1865, with less than 2,900 being produced. They were made in Paris, France, and Birmingham, England. Many were purchased by the Confederacy and used by such famous high-ranking Confederate officers as J. E. B. Stuart.

Location:
Constitution Ave. between 12th and 14th Sts. NW Washington,District of Columbia 20560
Identifier:
0.015
Institution:
Smithsonian National Museum of American History

John Singleton Mosby

This photograph shows Confederate Colonel John Mosby. Mosby, a Virginia lawyer before the war, commanded a Confederate cavalry battalion that harrassed Union forces throughout the war. His unit, nicknamed "Mosby's Raiders", was well-known for its quick and aggressive strikes against Union supply lines and exposed units.

Location:
201 West Monument Street Baltimore,Maryland 21201
Identifier:
Z24.495
Institution:
Maryland Historical Society