The Rebels Under Stuart Leaving Chambersburg

Creator:
James R. Chapin

Incomplete sketch. The Confederate Army, led by J.E.B. Stuart, raided and burned Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, on October 10, 1862.

Description (physical):

H: 8 1/8", W: 10"

Location:
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Identifier:
2010.0002.0013
Institution:
American Heritage Archives

Serving Platter

Date:
c. 1861

This platter was used by Confederate troops when they occupied the home of Dr. Charles Krauth on the grounds of the Lutheran Theological Seminary during the fighting at Gettysburg.

Description (physical):

Porcelain. W 32.7, H 23.5 cm

Location:
1195 Baltimore Pike Gettysburg, Pennsylvania 17325
Identifier:
2010.0005.0031
Institution:
Gettysburg National Military Park

Confederate Flag

Small Confederate flag presented to a large cannon called "Widow Blakely.” Flag bears 11 stars on field, should be 13 but 2 have been torn out leaving a hole in the blue field. A letter accompanied the small Confederate flag. The letter was written by D. R. McCutchen to his wife telling her to keep the flag for him until he returns from the war.

Description (physical):

Cloth. L 20.0 W 39.3 cm

Location:
3201 Clay Street Vicksburg,Mississippi 39183
Identifier:
2010.0001.0007
Institution:
Vicksburg National Military Park

Palmetto Flag

Date:
c. 1861

On April 14th 1861, men of the 18th South Carolina regiment raised this Palmetto flag over the captured Fort Sumter. The Palmetto flag confirmed the start of the bloodiest war in American history.

Description (physical):

9' x 6'

Location:
1214 Middle Street Sullivan's Island,South Carolina 29482
Identifier:
2010.0006.0005
Institution:
Fort Sumter National Monument

Garrison Flag

Date:
c. 1860

Major Robert Anderson raised this large garrison flag over the unfinished Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor on December 26, 1860. It was flying on April 12, 1861 when the Confederate forces began firing on the fort.

Description (physical):

Wool bunting. 19' 1" x 24' 1"

Location:
1214 Middle Street Sullivan's Island,South Carolina 29482
Identifier:
2010.0006.0006
Institution:
Fort Sumter National Monument

Storm Flag

Date:
c. 1860

After the garrison flag (see previous flag) that was flying over Fort Sumter had ripped, soldiers raised this smaller storm flag in its place.

Description (physical):

8' x 14'

Location:
1214 Middle Street Sullivan's Island,South Carolina 29482
Identifier:
2010.0006.0007
Institution:
Fort Sumter National Monument

Pee Dee Rifle Guard Flag

Date:
c. 1860

Flag carried by the Company A of the Pee Dee Rifle Guard.

Description (physical):

Silk. 35 1/2" x 45"

Location:
1214 Middle Street Sullivan's Island,South Carolina 29482
Identifier:
2010.0006.0008
Institution:
Fort Sumter National Monument

Confederate First National Flag

Date:
c. 1861

This flag has the First National pattern with 9 stars on the canton. The flag's large dimensions indicate that it was probably used as a storm flag during bad weather.

Description (physical):

Wool bunting. 112" x 53

Location:
P. O. Box 30757 Savannah , Georgia 31410
Identifier:
2010.0006.0003
Institution:
Fort Pulaski National Monument

Montgomery Guards Flag

Date:
c. 1862

The "Sisters of Mercy" presented this flag that was carried on a cross pole by the Montgomery Guards on March 17, 1862. The Guards, garrisoned at Fort Pulaski were made up of men of Irish heritage who came from Montgomery, Georgia.

Description (physical):

Silk. 36" x 49" with 4" gold fringe on three sides.

Location:
P. O. Box 30757 Savannah, Georgia 31410
Identifier:
2010.0006.0004
Institution:
Fort Pulaski National Monument

Confederate Flag

Date:
c. 1860

Records indicate that Joe E. Brown, Governor of Georgia during the Civil War, may have owned this flag.

Location:
900 Kennesaw Mountain Dr.Kennesaw,Georgia 30152
Identifier:
2010.0006.0009
Institution:
Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park