1950 Nash Rambler Convertible

Date:
1950
Creator:
Nash-Kelvinator Corporation | Nash Motors Company

This 1950 Nash Rambler convertible was an attempt to market a small automobile to the American public. Other independent automobile manufacturers had produced small vehicles, but none to the success of the Rambler. The compact Rambler was attractive, well equipped, and sensibly priced. But in the 1950s, big cars ruled. Only by 1960 did the larger "Big Three" auto companies produce an "in-between-sized" car.

Location:
20900 Oakwood Blvd., Dearborn, MI 48124-5029
Identifier:
87.176.1
Institution:
The Henry Ford
credits:
From the Collections of The Henry Ford. Gift of American Motors Corporation.

1949 Mercury Customized Convertible

Date:
1949
Creator:
Barris Kustom Industries | Carson Top Shop | Ford Motor Company, Lincoln-Mercury Division

Long, low, and well rounded, stock 1949–51 Mercurys became the favorite cars of 1950s customizers. When lowered even more and smoothed out by filling body seams with lead, these Mercs were called "lead sleds." This car shows many early customizing techniques. It was updated in the 1960s with sparkly Metalflake paint and blue "scallops."

Location:
20900 Oakwood Blvd., Dearborn, MI 48124-5029
Identifier:
92.110.1
Institution:
The Henry Ford
credits:
From the Collections of The Henry Ford.

1931 Bugatti Type 41 Royale Convertible

Date:
1931
Creator:
Bugatti Automobiles S.A.S./Weinberger, Ludwig

Longer than a Duesenberg. Twice the horsepower of a Rolls-Royce. More costly than both put together. The Bugatti Royale was the ultimate automobile, making its owners feel like kings. Not only did it do everything on a grander scale than the world's other great luxury cars, it was also rare. Bugatti built only six Royales, whereas there were 481 Model J Duesenbergs and 1767 Phantom II Rolls-Royces.

Description (physical):

Automobile

Location:
20900 Oakwood Blvd., Dearborn, MI 48124
Identifier:
58.86.1
Institution:
The Henry Ford
credits:
From the Collections of The Henry Ford. Gift of Charles and Esther Chayne.