Gun Lock

Date:
C. Early 1700s

The lock is a true flintlock, with no dog latch and is set on the half cock position. Locks of this type can be easily distinguished from the earlier dog locks by the shape of the tumbler that incorporated a reliable half cock, thus eliminating the need for the dog latch. Though the French possibly invented true flintlocks in the middle 17th century, dock locks were being used by the English military in the first decades of the 18th century.

Identifier:
QAR326.000
Institution:
Queen Anne's Revenge

Converted Flintlock Dueling Pistol

Date:
circa 1805
Description (physical):

Iron/steel, walnut. Length overall - 15 1/2"; Octagon barrel length - 10 9/16"

Location:
1 Old Sturbridge Village Road,Massachusetts,Sturbridge,01566
Identifier:
49.1.82
Institution:
Old Sturbridge Village
credits:
Collection of Old Sturbridge Village
Read more »