Battery C Flag

Date:
c. 1864

In 1838 Battery C, 3rd Regiment, commanded by Captain Samuel Ringgold became the first artillery battery to receive horses so that every soldier was mounted. Commonly known as a flying battery because of their capability for rapid movement, Ringgold's battery was soon followed by three other batteries, one from each of the four artillery regiments. The flying batteries played a decisive role in winning the Mexican War battle honors. Around the edge, the flag honors the Battery's service during the battles of Palo Alto, Resaca de la Palma, Buena Vista, and Monterey. Read more »

Location:
1713 Southwest 11th Street Lawton, OK 73501
Identifier:
2010.7100.0001
Institution:
National Artillery Museum