Lewis Douglass

Location:
West Virginia,Harpers Ferry,25425
Identifier:
2011.5.0051
Institution:
Harpers Ferry National Historical Park
Read more »

Frederick Douglass

Location:
West Virginia,Harpers Ferry,25425
Identifier:
2011.5.0008
Institution:
Harpers Ferry National Historical Park
Read more »

Lincoln Cane Given To Frederick Douglass

Date:
1860s

Originally owned by President Abraham Lincoln and given to Frederick Douglass by Mary Todd Lincoln after her husband's death in recognition of Douglass' recruiting efforts during the Civil War. Mr. Douglass at his residence in Rochester, New York wrote a thank you letter to Mrs. Abraham Lincoln on August 17, 1865. In the letter he thanked Mrs. Lincoln for given him the late president Abraham Lincoln's favorite walking stick. Source: Life and Writings of Frederick Douglass, Vol. III. Edited by Philip S. Foner, 1950.

Description (physical):

Wood, metal, antler. L 89, D 13 cm

Location:
1411 W Street SE Washington,District of Columbia 20020
Identifier:
FRDO 1898
Institution:
Frederick Douglass National Historic Site

Pair Of Gloves

Mr. Douglass wore these kidskin gloves.

Description (physical):

Kidskin. L 24, W 11 cm (left); L 25.5, W 10 cm (right)

Location:
1411 W Street SE Washington,District of Columbia 20020
Identifier:
FRDO 2179; FRDO 2177
Institution:
Frederick Douglass National Historic Site

Dumbbells

Date:
1890-1895

Each dumbbell weighs 12 pounds. Frederick Douglass' granddaugher Fredericka Sprague Perry noted in her journal, "In the mornings before breakfast and in all degrees of temperature Douglass goes out on the porch or in the yard and swing the dumbbells both alternately then both at the same time, over, behind, and in front...." The undated journal is in the Manuscript department, Moorland-Spingarn Research Center, Howard University, Washington, DC.

Description (physical):

Metal. L 22, W 7.5 cm

Location:
1411 W Street SE Washington,District of Columbia 20020
Identifier:
FRDO 3136; FRDO 3135
Institution:
Frederick Douglass National Historic Site

Stereoscope

Date:
1895
Creator:
James M. Davis
Publisher/Studio:
Philadelphia, PA
Description (physical):

Wood, glass. L 30, W 13.6 cm

Location:
1411 W Street SE Washington,District of Columbia 20020
Identifier:
FRDO 2189
Institution:
Frederick Douglass National Historic Site

Lincoln Cane

Date:
1860s

Originally owned by President Abraham Lincoln and given to Frederick Douglass by Mary Todd Lincoln after her husband's death in recognition of Douglass' recruiting efforts during the Civil War. Mr. Douglass at his residence in Rochester, New York wrote a thank you letter to Mrs. Abraham Lincoln on August 17, 1865. In the letter he thanked Mrs. Lincoln for given him the late president Abraham Lincoln's favorite walking stick. Source: Life and Writings of Frederick Douglass, Vol. III. Edited by Philip S. Foner, 1950.

Description (physical):

Wood, metal, antler. L 89, D 13 cm

Location:
1411 W Street SE Washington,District of Columbia 20020
Identifier:
FRDO 1898
Institution:
Frederick Douglass National Historic Site

L'Ours Dentiste

Date:
1864-1870
Creator:
By Christophe Fratin

The French sculptor was well known for his figures of animals, in particular, bears engaged in human activities. This cire perdue [lost wax process] sculpture on Mr. Douglass' desk in his study features two bears. One is doing dental work on the other bear seated in a dental chair. The dentist has a pair of pliers in one hand. The other hand restrains the seated patient bear.

Description (physical):

Metal. H 6.2, Dia 33 cm

Location:
1411 W Street SE Washington,District of Columbia 20020
Identifier:
FRDO 1894
Institution:
Frederick Douglass National Historic Site

Slop Jar

Date:
1881-1883
Creator:
Haynes
Publisher/Studio:
Baltimore, MD

The house did not have a bathroom. Once the chamber pot was filled, the waste was put into the slop jar and taken to the outhouse.

Description (physical):

Ceramic. H 36, Dia 89 cm

Location:
1411 W Street SE Washington,District of Columbia 20020
Identifier:
FRDO 1912
Institution:
Frederick Douglass National Historic Site

Frederick Douglass With Madam Hyppolite In Haiti

Date:
c. 1871
Creator:
James E. Taylor

Frederick Douglass wearing a wide brimmed Panama hat & carrying a riding crop. He stands a few steps below Madam Hyppolite, wife of the Haitian president. She is wearing a riding habit. Under the grant administration, Douglass was assistant secretary of the commission of inquiry to Santo Dominago in 1871. In this scene Douglass is questioning the residents. Bottom right bears the signature, James E. Taylor. (James E. Taylor (1839-1901) was an illustrator for the Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper.)

Description (physical):

Paper. W 59, L 4 cm

Location:
1411 W Street SE Washington,District of Columbia 20020
Identifier:
FRDO 157
Institution:
Frederick Douglass National Historic Site