Armchair

Date:
1790-1810
Creator:
John Finlay, Hugh Finlay (repainted)
Publisher/Studio:
Baltimore

Painted furniture was popular at Hampton from the time Charles Carnan Ridgely (1760-1829) purchased a suite of white and gilt painted seating furniture in New York in 1797. Around the same time, he also acquired a set of painted armchairs of English manufacture, two of which survive in the Hampton collection. Governor Ridgely had the chairs repainted within a decade or two of their manufacture. The design of this second layer of paint clearly indicates that the repainting was done in Baltimore, probably by the firm of John and Hugh Finlay, who were to be long-term suppliers of “fancy” furniture, as it was then called, to the Ridgely family. Notably, one of the chairs has a view of Hampton painted on its crest rail. Later in the 19th century when this style of painted furniture had become unfashionable, Margaretta Ridgely (1824-1904) had the chair’s legs cut down and the frame upholstered and slip covered. In this state, the chair was used in both the Great Hall and the Music Room, as shown by historic photographs.

Description (physical):

Material: Beech and other woods. H: 78.8cm, W: 57.5cm, D: 49 cm.

Location:
535 Hampton Lane Towson,Maryland 21286
Identifier:
HAMP3921; HAMP3921_chairDetail
Institution:
Hampton National Historic Site

Priscilla Dorsey Ridgely

Date:
1805
Creator:
Rembrandt Peale (copy)

In 1782, Charles Ridgely Carnan married Priscilla Hill Dorsey (1762-1814), the youngest sister of his uncle Capt. Charles Ridgely’s wife, Rebecca Dorsey Ridgely. The first two mistresses of Hampton were sisters. During her 22-year marriage, she bore her husband 14 children, and 11  survived to adulthood, a remarkable percentage in those days. Like her older sister, Priscilla was an ardent Methodist renowned for her piety, a trait she passed on to most of her eight daughters. The restrained style of her clothing as seen in this portrait further reflects her Methodist views. The painting at Hampton is an early 19th century copy of the original by Rembrandt Peale, now owned by the State of Maryland and exhibited at the Governor’s Mansion in Annapolis.

Description (physical):

Material: Oil on canvas. H: 75cm, W: 62.2cm.

Location:
535 Hampton Lane Towson,Maryland 21286
Identifier:
HAMP1094
Institution:
Hampton National Historic Site

Charles Carnan Ridgely

Date:
1950 (after 1820 original)
Creator:
C. G. Stapko (after Thomas Sully)

Charles Carnan Ridgely (1760-1829), son of John and Achsah Ridgely Carnan, sister of Captain Charles Ridgely (1733-1790), was educated and trained in business by his uncle. When Capt. Ridgely died childless in 1790, Charles Ridgely Carnan inherited the Hampton estate, iron furnaces, and additional property, on the condition he change his surname to Ridgely. Charles Carnan Ridgely eventually owned more than 25,000 acres of land in northern Maryland and over 300 slaves. In addition to his vast agricultural, industrial, and commercial interests, he served as a representative from Baltimore County in the Maryland legislature from 1790-1795, as a state senator from 1796-1800, and as a three-term governor of Maryland, ending in 1819. Known throughout his life as General Ridgely, Charles Carnan Ridgely’s military record culminated with his appointment as a brigadier general in the state militia in 1796. His original 1820 portrait by Thomas Sully was donated by John Ridgely, Jr. to National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C. in 1945.

Description (physical):

Material: Oil on Canvass. H: 122cm, W: 97.2cm.

Location:
535 Hampton Lane Towson,Maryland 21286
Identifier:
HAMP1189
Institution:
Hampton National Historic Site

Wind Tunnel

This photograph depicts the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics' (NACA) Langley Memorial Laboratory, opened in 1917 with the first pressurized (variable density) wind tunnel. The laboratory, located in Hampton, Virginia and named after Samuel P. Langley, the third secretary of the Smithsonian, was used to gather precise data on wing shapes.

Location:
Independence Ave at 6th Street, SW Washington,District of Columbia 20560
Identifier:
9A03115
Institution:
Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum

Wade Hamilton

Date:
2004
Creator:
Cisco, Walter Brian
Publisher/Studio:
Washington, D.C.: Brassey's, Inc.

This is a biography about the man who became the head of the cavalry for the Confederacy after the death of J.E.B. Stuart. Hampton was one of the wealthiest men in the South at the outset of the war, was a good military leader and after the war returned to South Carolina and eventually became governor at a time when the former confederates were replacing the Reconstruction governments with men of safely segregationist views.

Description (physical):

Hardbound, 6" x 9", 401 p. with index and biblio.

Location:
6125 Boydton Plank Rd.Petersburg,Virginia 23803
Institution:
Pamplin Historical Park and the National Museum of the Civil War Soldier

Gentleman And Soldier

Date:
2003
Creator:
Longacre, Edward G.
Publisher/Studio:
Nashville, Tenn.: Rutledge Hill Press
Location:
6125 Boydton Plank Rd.Petersburg,Virginia 23803
Institution:
Pamplin Historical Park and the National Museum of the Civil War Soldier

Giant In Gray

Date:
1988
Creator:
Wellman, Manly Wade
Publisher/Studio:
Dayton, OH: Morningside Bookshop
Location:
6125 Boydton Plank Rd.Petersburg,Virginia 23803
Institution:
Pamplin Historical Park and the National Museum of the Civil War Soldier

Vases (pair)

Date:
1830-1860
Publisher/Studio:
Paris

The lavish use of floral motifs on these vases is in keeping with Eliza Ridgely’s love of horticulture and the natural world. She may have acquired them during her sojourn in Paris in 1846-1848.

Description (physical):

Material: Porcelain. H: 32.5cm, W: 19cm, D: 13cm.

Location:
535 Hampton Lane Towson,Maryland 21286
Identifier:
HAMP10246_10247
Institution:
Hampton National Historic Site

Charles Ridgely

Date:
1868
Creator:
John E. Robertson

Hampton’s fourth master Charles Ridgely (1830-1872) was the second child of John Ridgely (1790-1867) and Eliza Eichelberger Ridgely (1803-1867). He received his early education at the highly regarded Mr. McNally’s school in Baltimore, went briefly to school in Paris in the winter of 1847-1848, and graduated from Harvard University. After his marriage in 1851 to his first cousin Margaretta Sophia Howard Ridgely (1824-1904), he assumed much of the responsibility for managing the Hampton estate. The painting is signed “Robertson” on the lower right, probably for the Liverpool-born artist John E. Robertson (1820-1879) who was active as a portrait painter in Baltimore in the 1860s.

Description (physical):

Material: Oil on canvas. H: 76.2cm, W: 64.2cm.

Location:
535 Hampton Lane Towson,Maryland 21286
Identifier:
HAMP848
Institution:
Hampton National Historic Site

Charles Ridgely

Date:
1873
Creator:
William Henry Rinehart

In 1870, Charles Ridgely (1830-1872) went abroad with his family for an extended trip to Europe. Even while away, however, he remained very interested in Hampton and maintained an active correspondence with the estate managers. Unfortunately, while visiting Rome in the spring of 1872, he was stricken with typhoid fever and died. This portrait bust, signed “Wm H. Rinehart, SCULP+ ROMA 1873,” is posthumous, though it is possible that Charles had sat for sketches with the sculptor before his untimely death. William Henry Rinehart (1825-1874), a native of Maryland who is regarded as one of this country’s greatest sculptors, maintained a studio in Rome from 1858 until his death.

Description (physical):

Material: Marble. H: 58.5cm, W: 33.2cm, D: 23.2cm.

Location:
535 Hampton Lane Towson,Maryland 21286
Identifier:
HAMP1161
Institution:
Hampton National Historic Site