Jeb Stuart’s Pistol

This English-made, cased Tranter revolver was given to Confederate Major General James Ewell Brown “Jeb” Stuart by Heros von Borcke. Von Borcke was a Prussian officer who took leave from his country’s services to serve in the American Civil War. He served as Stuart’s chief of staff, with the rank of major, until he was seriously wounded at Middleburg, Virginia, in June 1863. That same month, von Borcke gave this revolver to Stuart, in the expectation that Stuart would have attained the rank of lieutenant general. Stuart had hopes of receiving this rank after commanding “Stonewall” Jackson’s corps when that officer was mortally wounded during the battle of Chancellorsville. Unfortunately he never obtained that rank, but the inscription on the cover of the cased revolver states: “LT. GEN J.E.B. STUART C.S.A. CULPEPPER, VA JUNE 1863/ FROM HEROS VON BORCKE.”

Location:
Constitution Ave. between 12th and 14th Sts. NW Washington,District of Columbia 20560
Identifier:
0.027
Institution:
Smithsonian National Museum of American History

General Orders From J.E.B. Stuart

Date:
Mar 12, 1863

These general orders from J. E. B. Stuart, dated March 12, 1863, praise Captain John Singleton Mosby for his skill and daring, in particular the capture of Brigadier General Edwin H. Stoughton and thirty of his men in Fairfax, Virginia, in the early morning hours of March 8, 1863. The Union forces stationed a few miles away were unaware that Mosby and his men were in the vicinity; Stoughton, who’s quarters were miles from his soldiers’s, proved an easy target. He was awakened from his slumber by Mosby and informed that he was now a prisoner of Mosby’s Rangers.

Location:
Constitution Ave. between 12th and 14th Sts. NW Washington, District of Columbia 20560
Identifier:
0.035
Institution:
Smithsonian National Museum of American History

The Rebels Under Stuart Leaving Chambersburg

Creator:
James R. Chapin

Incomplete sketch. The Confederate Army, led by J.E.B. Stuart, raided and burned Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, on October 10, 1862.

Description (physical):

H: 8 1/8", W: 10"

Location:
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Identifier:
2010.0002.0013
Institution:
American Heritage Archives