Captain John Ridgely

Date:
1940
Creator:
Corrie Crook

Always styled “Captain,” John Ridgely (1851-1938) was the eldest son of Hampton’s fourth master Charles Ridgely (1830-1872) and Margaretta Sophia Howard Ridgely (1824-1904). He technically became fifth master of the estate upon the death of his father in Rome in 1872, but his mother continued the management of the estate for many years afterward. Described as a “gentleman farmer,” John oversaw an estate that was both dwindling in size and in profitability by the early 20th century. He brought a significant improvement to the mansion in 1929, with the installation of electricity following the death of his wife, Helen West Stewart Ridgely (1854-1929). Signed "Corrie Crook/1940," this portrait showing Capt. John in old age was painted from a photo posthumously.

Description (physical):

Material: Oil on canvas. H: 76.2cm, W: 63.5cm.

Location:
535 Hampton Lane Towson,Maryland 21286
Identifier:
HAMP1091
Institution:
Hampton National Historic Site

John Ridgely, Jr. And Charles Ridgely

Date:
1861
Publisher/Studio:
Israel & Co.

John Ridgely, Jr. (1851-1938), eldest child of Hampton’s fourth master Charles Ridgely and his wife Margaretta Howard Ridgely, become the fifth master of the estate. This studio portrait shows him dressed in soldier suit, complete with epaulettes, sword, and knee-length boots.  It was one 23 carte-de-visites of family and friends in an album given to him by his mother on the occasion of his 11th birthday on December 22, 1862. Charles Ridgely (1853-1873) is dressed as one of Three Musketeers for this studio portrait from a family album dated 1862. There are dozens of carte-de-visites showing the children of Charles and Margaretta Howard Ridgely, their cousins, and friends in fancy dress costumes ranging from soldiers and shepherdesses to peasants and highlanders to kings and princesses.

Description (physical):

Carte de visite. Material: Paper, cardboard. H: 9.1cm, W: 6cm (per image).

Location:
535 Hampton Lane Towson,Maryland 21286
Identifier:
HAMP18047
Institution:
Hampton National Historic Site

John Ridgely, Charles Ridgely, Henry White Ii, And Julian Leroy White

Date:
1856
Creator:
John Carlin

Although to our modern eyes some of the children in this painting may appear to be girls due to their clothing, all the individuals depicted are boys. John Ridgely (1851-1938) and his brother Charles Ridgely (1853-1873) (on the right) are shown with their first cousins Henry White II (1850-1927) and Julian Leroy White (1853-1923), enjoying the pastimes provided by the countryside around Hampton. The mansion’s cupola can be seen in the background of the painting.

Description (physical):

Material: Oil on canvas. H: 49.8, W: 60.9 cm.

Location:
535 Hampton Lane Towson,Maryland 21286
Identifier:
HAMP1128
Institution:
Hampton National Historic Site

The Hampton Company Brochure

Date:
1930

In 1929, John Ridgely, Jr. formed The Hampton Company for the purpose of selling lands from the Hampton estate for development. The brochure notes “Part of this historic acreage will be developed into a section of small country estates,” and entices “the man of means” through “location, surroundings, natural beauty…modern facilities and steadily enhancing values.”

Description (physical):

Material: Paper. H: 23cm, W: 10.5cm.

Location:
535 Hampton Lane Towson,Maryland 21286
Identifier:
HAMP2843_brochure01, HAMP2843_brochure02, HAMP2843_brochure06
Institution:
Hampton National Historic Site

Tea Service

Date:
1907
Publisher/Studio:
Baltimore, MD: Jacobi & Jenkins

This service was made at time of the marriage of Louise Roman Humichouse (1883-1934) to John Ridgely, Jr. (1882-1959) in 1907. The elegant six–piece set, comprised of a teapot, coffee pot, hot water pot on stand, waste bowl, sugar bowl, and cream pitcher, reflects the designs of Baltimore silver of a century earlier. Following family tradition, the Ridgely stag’s head crest is engraved on the side of each piece.

Description (physical):

Material: Silver. H 19.7, L 26.7 cm; W 10.2, H 20.5 cm; L 26.7 cm; W 12, H 32.1 cm; L 24.7, W 15.2 cm; H 13, L 13.3 cm; W 10.2, H 16.9 cm; L 19, W 8.3 cm; H 14.6, L 13.7 cm; W 7.3 cm

Location:
535 Hampton Lane Towson,Maryland 21286
Identifier:
HAMP38468_38469_38470_38471_38472_38473
Institution:
Hampton National Historic Site

Louise Roman Humichouse Ridgely

Date:
1907
Publisher/Studio:
Kajiwaba Studio

Louise Roman Humichouse (1883-1934) wed John Ridgely, Jr. (1882-1959), Hampton’s sixth and final master, in 1907. This formal wedding photograph by Kajiwaba Studio, was taken in her hometown of Hagerstown, Maryland. After their marriage, John and Louise built their own home about a half mile west of Hampton Mansion at 503 Hampton Lane, where the couple resided until her death in 1934.

Description (physical):

Material: Paper. H: 22cm, W: 15.7cm.

Location:
535 Hampton Lane Towson,Maryland 21286
Identifier:
HAMP3481
Institution:
Hampton National Historic Site

John Ridgely, Jr., Jane Rodney Ridgely, And Servant

Date:
1948
Creator:
A. Aubrey Bodine

This image, taken by renowned Maryland photographer A. Aubrey Bodine, was published on the cover of the Baltimore Sun magazine in June, 1948. John Ridgely, Jr. (1882-1959) and his second wife, Jane Rodney Ridgely (1902-1978), and a servant are seen on the front steps of Hampton taking leave of the mansion after its sale to the National Park Service. The Ridgelys then moved across Hampton Lane to the Farm House, which remained in the family until after Jane’s death in 1978. After that, it too became part of Hampton National Historic Site.

Description (physical):

Material: Paper. H: 18cm, W: 13cm.

Location:
535 Hampton Lane Towson,Maryland 21286
Identifier:
HAMP22491
Institution:
Hampton National Historic Site

John Ridgely, Jr.

Date:
1940

The Hampton herd of registered Jersey cattle continued to be a significant part of the life and business of the estate into the mid-20th century. John Ridgely, Jr. (1882-1959) is seen in this snapshot taken from the Ridgely family’s final decade as owners of Hampton with two fine calves from the herd.

Description (physical):

Material: Paper. L: 20cm, W: 25cm.

Location:
535 Hampton Lane Towson,Maryland 21286
Identifier:
HAMP4325
Institution:
Hampton National Historic Site

John Ridgely, Jr.

Date:
1951
Creator:
Stanislav Rembski

John Ridgely, Jr. (1882-1959), the son of Capt. John Ridgely (1851-1938) and Helen West Stewart Ridgely (1854-1929), was the sixth and final master of the Hampton estate. In the late 1920s, he established the Hampton Development Company which constructed and sold houses on Hampton lands near the heart of the Home Farm. John was responsible for selling the mansion with some of its furnishings and 43 acres of land to the National Park Service in 1947 with funds for the purchase and restoration provided by the Avalon Foundation, a Mellon family foundation. This portrait by Stanislaw Rembski (1896-1998), a Polish immigrant who became a leading portrait painter in mid-20th century Baltimore, shows John after he and his second wife Jane Rodney Ridgely (1902-1978) had left Hampton and moved to the Hampton Lower House across the road.

Description (physical):

Material: Oil on canvas. H: 88.9cm, W: 63.5cm.

Location:
535 Hampton Lane Towson,Maryland 21286
Identifier:
HAMP2604
Institution:
Hampton National Historic Site

Catalogue Of The "Hampton" Herd

Date:
1882
Creator:
John Ridgely
Publisher/Studio:
Baltimore, MD: John Cox

Capt. John Ridgely was especially interested in Hampton’s prize-winning herd of Jersey dairy cattle. In this booklet, he meticulously recorded the names, birth dates, heritage, and features of each cow. His wife, Helen West Stewart Ridgely, later annotated the entries with “dead” or “sold” as appropriate.

Description (physical):

Material: Paper. L: 20cm, W: 12.5cm.        

Location:
535 Hampton Lane Towson,Maryland 21286
Identifier:
HAMP22743
Institution:
Hampton National Historic Site