Pastoral Landscape With A Bridge

Date:
1875
Creator:
Helen West Stewart Ridgely, (1854-1929)

Helen West Stewart Ridgely (1854-1929) was a talented amateur artist who loved to paint landscape views in watercolor. Hampton NHS’s collection contains dozens of her works painted both in Maryland and during trips abroad. Helen was also interested in photography and took many images of historic buildings, especially churches, around Maryland.

Description (physical):

Material: Watercolor on paper. H: 17.3cm, W: 26.3cm.

Location:
535 Hampton Lane Towson,Maryland 21286
Identifier:
HAMP4450
Institution:
Hampton National Historic Site

John Ridgely, Charles Ridgely, Henry White Ii, And Julian Leroy White

Date:
1856
Creator:
John Carlin

Although to our modern eyes some of the children in this painting may appear to be girls due to their clothing, all the individuals depicted are boys. John Ridgely (1851-1938) and his brother Charles Ridgely (1853-1873) (on the right) are shown with their first cousins Henry White II (1850-1927) and Julian Leroy White (1853-1923), enjoying the pastimes provided by the countryside around Hampton. The mansion’s cupola can be seen in the background of the painting.

Description (physical):

Material: Oil on canvas. H: 49.8, W: 60.9 cm.

Location:
535 Hampton Lane Towson,Maryland 21286
Identifier:
HAMP1128
Institution:
Hampton National Historic Site

John Ridgely, Jr.

Date:
1951
Creator:
Stanislav Rembski

John Ridgely, Jr. (1882-1959), the son of Capt. John Ridgely (1851-1938) and Helen West Stewart Ridgely (1854-1929), was the sixth and final master of the Hampton estate. In the late 1920s, he established the Hampton Development Company which constructed and sold houses on Hampton lands near the heart of the Home Farm. John was responsible for selling the mansion with some of its furnishings and 43 acres of land to the National Park Service in 1947 with funds for the purchase and restoration provided by the Avalon Foundation, a Mellon family foundation. This portrait by Stanislaw Rembski (1896-1998), a Polish immigrant who became a leading portrait painter in mid-20th century Baltimore, shows John after he and his second wife Jane Rodney Ridgely (1902-1978) had left Hampton and moved to the Hampton Lower House across the road.

Description (physical):

Material: Oil on canvas. H: 88.9cm, W: 63.5cm.

Location:
535 Hampton Lane Towson,Maryland 21286
Identifier:
HAMP2604
Institution:
Hampton National Historic Site

Catalogue Of The "Hampton" Herd

Date:
1882
Creator:
John Ridgely
Publisher/Studio:
Baltimore, MD: John Cox

Capt. John Ridgely was especially interested in Hampton’s prize-winning herd of Jersey dairy cattle. In this booklet, he meticulously recorded the names, birth dates, heritage, and features of each cow. His wife, Helen West Stewart Ridgely, later annotated the entries with “dead” or “sold” as appropriate.

Description (physical):

Material: Paper. L: 20cm, W: 12.5cm.        

Location:
535 Hampton Lane Towson,Maryland 21286
Identifier:
HAMP22743
Institution:
Hampton National Historic Site

Charles Ridgely

Date:
1873
Creator:
William Henry Rinehart

In 1870, Charles Ridgely (1830-1872) went abroad with his family for an extended trip to Europe. Even while away, however, he remained very interested in Hampton and maintained an active correspondence with the estate managers. Unfortunately, while visiting Rome in the spring of 1872, he was stricken with typhoid fever and died. This portrait bust, signed “Wm H. Rinehart, SCULP+ ROMA 1873,” is posthumous, though it is possible that Charles had sat for sketches with the sculptor before his untimely death. William Henry Rinehart (1825-1874), a native of Maryland who is regarded as one of this country’s greatest sculptors, maintained a studio in Rome from 1858 until his death.

Description (physical):

Material: Marble. H: 58.5cm, W: 33.2cm, D: 23.2cm.

Location:
535 Hampton Lane Towson,Maryland 21286
Identifier:
HAMP1161
Institution:
Hampton National Historic Site

Margaretta Sophia Howard Ridgely

Date:
1865
Publisher/Studio:
Baltimore, MD

This carte-de-visite taken in a Baltimore photo studio around the end of the Civil War shows Margaretta Sophia Howard Ridgely (1824-1904), wife of Hampton’s fourth master Charles Ridgely (1830-1872). Her maternal grandfather was Governor Charles Carnan Ridgely, meaning that she and her husband were first cousins. Margaretta, raised at “Cowpens,” an estate just to the east of Hampton, had been a childhood playmate of her Ridgely cousins. The mother of eight children, after her husband’s untimely death in Rome in 1872, she returned to Hampton and managed the estate until her own death 32 years later.

Description (physical):

Material: Cardboard, Paper. H: 10.8cm, W: 5.7cm.

Location:
535 Hampton Lane Towson,Maryland 21286
Identifier:
HAMP31234
Institution:
Hampton National Historic Site

Margaretta Sophia Howard Ridgely With Her Daughter Juliana Ridgely Yeaton

Date:
1897

In a photo taken just a few years before her death, Margaretta Sophia Howard Ridgely (1824-1904) is seen strolling the brick terrace south of the mansion, accompanied by one of her three daughters, Juliana Ridgely Yeaton (1862-1951). The photo is in an album compiled in 1897 by Helen Morris Ridgely, the wife of Margaretta’s son Howard (1855-1900).

Description (physical):

Material: Paper. H: 8.6cm, W: 8.7cm.

Location:
535 Hampton Lane Towson,Maryland 21286
Identifier:
HAMP44355
Institution:
Hampton National Historic Site

Punch Bowl

Date:
1885
Publisher/Studio:
Burslem, Staffordshire, England: Doulton & Co., Ltd.

The somber shades of this large English pottery punch bowl reflect the new late 19th century aesthetic. Margaretta Ridgely continued to entertain numerous visiting family members and friends at Hampton during this period, thus the substantial size of this bowl would have been welcome. The bowl was later used at the Park Avenue home of her eldest and longest surviving daughter Eliza (1858-1954).

Description (physical):

Material: Earthenware. H: 28cm, Di: 47cm.

Location:
535 Hampton Lane Towson,Maryland 21286
Identifier:
HAMP10279
Institution:
Hampton National Historic Site

Captain John Ridgely

Date:
1940
Creator:
Corrie Crook

Always styled “Captain,” John Ridgely (1851-1938) was the eldest son of Hampton’s fourth master Charles Ridgely (1830-1872) and Margaretta Sophia Howard Ridgely (1824-1904). He technically became fifth master of the estate upon the death of his father in Rome in 1872, but his mother continued the management of the estate for many years afterward. Described as a “gentleman farmer,” John oversaw an estate that was both dwindling in size and in profitability by the early 20th century. He brought a significant improvement to the mansion in 1929, with the installation of electricity following the death of his wife, Helen West Stewart Ridgely (1854-1929). Signed "Corrie Crook/1940," this portrait showing Capt. John in old age was painted from a photo posthumously.

Description (physical):

Material: Oil on canvas. H: 76.2cm, W: 63.5cm.

Location:
535 Hampton Lane Towson,Maryland 21286
Identifier:
HAMP1091
Institution:
Hampton National Historic Site

Helen West Stewart Ridgely

Date:
1904
Creator:
Florence Maccubbin

Helen West Stewart Ridgely (1854-1929) was the wife of Hampton’s fifth master, Capt. John Ridgely (1851-1938). She was a highly accomplished woman: a talented writer, antiquarian, artist, genealogist, manager, and hostess. She was the author of two books still considered standard references, The Old Brick Churches of Maryland (1894) and Historic Graves of Maryland and the District of Columbia (1908). A friend of the Theodore Roosevelts, she describes in her diary collecting eggs from Hampton’s chickens one morning before changing clothes and catching the train to go to tea at the White House in the afternoon. This sensitive pastel portrait is by Florence Mackubin (1866–1918), a prominent society portrait artist in early 20th century Baltimore with whom Helen was associated through their membership in the Colonial Dames of America.

Description (physical):

Material: Pastel on paper. H: 48.2cm, W: 39.4cm.

Location:
535 Hampton Lane Towson,Maryland 21286
Identifier:
HAMP10059
Institution:
Hampton National Historic Site