This carved wooden pipe in the German Ulmer style comes from the Lydia Leister household. The Leister home was used by General George Gordon Meade as his headquarters at Gettysburg. The pipe features a hinged metal cover that allowed its use during any kind of weather.
Top: Clay. D 3, H 3.7; L (of bowl) 6.2; L (of pipe) 1.4; D (max. D of stem) 1.6 cm; Center: Ceramic. L 5.1, H ( bowl) 3.5, Dia ( bowl) 3.0, 1.9 cm; Bottom: Clay, metal. L 3.7, Dia (bowl) 2.5, (stem) 1.6, H 3.7 cm
This pipe was found in the forward starboard compartment of USS Cairo. Perhaps, during all of the excitement, it was dropped by one of Cairo's two boatswain mates, either 27 year-old Richard Lymont or 25 year-old Charles Smith.
Material: Silver. L: 13.2 cm, W: 2.4 cm, Tube Di: at mouth end .95 cm, Ball Di: 1.9 cm
The pipe belonged to Jefferson Davis and was used by him during his confinement (1865-1867) at Fort Monroe.
A Meerschaum pipe, consisting of four eagle claw talons around a pale yellow up-turned bowl. It is 8.5 inches long and weighs 8 oz. There is a silver colored metal band from the tip of the stem. There are bite marks around the tip of the stem.