This piece, cast at Seville on 8 January 1829, was originally made as a 12-pounder smoothbore along the line of No.15. At a later date, it was converted to a 4.75-inch muzzle-loading rifle, a common expedient here and abroad in the mid-19th century when many old smoothbore guns were so modified. As a rifle, it has a hexagonal bore with eight lands and was equipped with rimbase sights like those of No.15. It bears the Latin name ALEATOR -- literally, a dice player - connoting dice and recklessness or, perhaps, referring to the 12-pound dice that it could throw.
805 Kidder Breese Street SE 20374
Naval Historical Center