Petroleum discovered in Titusville, PA in 1859 provided Americans with a new supply of lamp oil that was cheaper and more abundant than whale oil. In 1905, during the building of the Los Angeles Aqueduct through the Owens Valley, the city of Los Angeles built its first power plant 15 miles north of Manzanar at Division Creek. Many Manzanar homes did not have electicity until the 1920s. This lamp has "Pat. Jan-6-83/Feb 11-73" embossed on the wick turner.
Metal. H 2, Dia 7.5 cm
5001 Hwy. 395 Independence,California 93526
Manzanar National Historic Site