Battle Flag Of The Flying Fish

Date:
C. 1940s
Location:
805 Kidder Breese Street SE,District of Columbia,Washington,20374
Identifier:
2011.021.0004
Institution:
National Museum of the U.S. Navy
credits:
Courtesy of Vice Admiral Glynn R. Donaho
Read more »

AF Guardian

Creator:
Grumman Aircraft Engineering Corporation

Some of naval aviation's earliest operations involved searching for submerged submarines from the air, and in the wide-ranging war against German U-boats during World War II, naval aviation solidified a place as a prime instrument of antisubmarine warfare. Read more »

Description (physical):

Length: 43 ft., 4 in.; Height: 16 ft., 2 in.; Wingspan: 60 ft., 8 in.

Location:
1750 Radford Blvd., Pensacola, Florida 32508
Identifier:
1980.001.001
Institution:
National Naval Aviation Museum

A-1 (AD) Skyraider

Creator:
Douglas Aircraft Company

"The airplane that became the AD (later A-1) Skyraider evolved from a Navy decision in 1943 to combine the dive-bombing and torpedo missions in one aircraft. Built around a barrel-like fuselage, it possessed rigid lines that made it anything but graceful in appearance, but emanated power and could carry 8,000 lb. of ordnance, more than a World War II B-17 bomber. First flown on 18 March 1945, Skyraiders entered fleet service the following year and no aviator that flew one then and later would forget the experience of taking to the air for the first time. Read more »

Description (physical):

Length: 38 ft., 10 in.; Height 15 ft., 8 in.; Wingspan: 50 ft.

Location:
1750 Radford Blvd., Pensacola, Florida 32508
Identifier:
1968.012.001
Institution:
National Naval Aviation Museum

4" 50 Caliber Mark XII Gun Crew In Action

Date:
1942
Creator:
Barclay, McClelland
Description (physical):

Painting, Oil On Canvas

Location:
Navy Art Collection, Building 67, Navy Yard, Washington, DC
Identifier:
48-031-B
Institution:
U.S. Navy Art Collection

Air Operations/Carrier

Date:
1943-1945
Creator:
Falter, John
Description (physical):

Painting, Oil On Canvas

Location:
Washington Navy Yard/Navy Art Collection, Building 67, Washington, District of Columbia 20374
Identifier:
45-127-V
Institution:
U.S. Navy Art Collection

Amphibs Come Ashore, D-Day

Date:
1944
Creator:
Whitcomb, Jon
Description (physical):

Watercolor

Location:
Washington Navy Yard Navy Art Collection, Building 67,Washington,Navy Yard
Identifier:
88-200-D
Institution:
U.S. Navy Art Collection

Split Trail Carriage And Griffen Ordnance Rifle

Date:
1928

The T-1 was the first U.S. split trail carriage design. The split trail was one of a number of design features learned from captured German artillery pieces in World War I. The principal advantage to the split trail was its elimination of the problems caused with the box carriage when firing the gun at high angles. The split trail carriage developed into the M1 carriage, which was used on the M2 Howitzer, the most widely used U.S. gun of World War II. As with most U.S. guns of the 1920s and 1930s, it has a M1897 75mm barrel and recoil system.

Location:
1713 Southwest 11th Street Lawton, OK 73501
Identifier:
2010.7100.0004
Institution:
National Artillery Museum

"Slo Poke", M1922 Mark X Gun Motor Carriage

Date:
Rock Island, IL: Rock Island Arsenal

One of a tiny number of experimental self-propelled guns developed by the Ordnance Corps after World War I. "Slo Poke" features a Model 1920 Experimental 4.7 inch Gun mounted on a Caterpillar tractor. It was built at the Rock Island Arsenal and tested at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, Maryland. The driver sat in the small open compartment on the right side. The Field Artillery Branch did not support the development of self-propelled artillery pieces until after the beginning of World War II believing that horses and towed artillery pieces would be adequate.

Location:
1713 Southwest 11th Street Lawton, OK 73501
Identifier:
0.002
Institution:
U.S. Army Field Artillery Museum

"Door Knocker", M12 Gun Motor Carriage

The M12 Gun Motor Carriage was the first heavy self-propelled artillery piece of World War II. Only 100 were produced and they saw heavy use in Europe. It was known as the "Door Knocker" because of its long-range bunker busting capability.

Location:
1713 Southwest 11th Street Lawton, OK 73501
Identifier:
0.001
Institution:
U.S. Army Field Artillery Museum

Awarding Of Battle Honors List

Date:
1-May-45
Creator:
Army Air Corps

The list of officers and men in the Supply Squadron of the 60th Air Depot Group receiving battle honors for service during the New Guinea campaign during World War II includes the name of Staff Sergeant John Ridgely III.

Description (physical):

Material: Paper. H: 26.5cm, W: 20cm.

Location:
535 Hampton Lane Towson,Maryland 21286
Identifier:
HAMP34355
Institution:
Hampton National Historic Site