Letter From The Department Of The Interior

Date:
August 10, 1863

This letter from the Department of the Interior granted Frederick Douglass the right of a free man. Four signatures at bottom with Abraham Lincoln's on left (dated).

Description (physical):

Paper. L 24.5, W 19.5 cm

Location:
1411 W Street SE Washington,District of Columbia 20020
Identifier:
FRDO 3863
Institution:
Frederick Douglass National Historic Site

General Thomas-Alexandre Dumas

Date:
c. 1800

General Thomas-Alexandre Dumas in French Republican Army officer uniform, circa 1800. The image includes a battle scene and an inscription that reads; "Se vend a Paris chez Portrelle Successeur de Dulac, Md. D'Estempes, Rue Honore, No. 54 vis-à-vis l'Oratorie." This is translated as "This print is for sale in Paris at Portrelle, the successor to Dulac, seller of lithorgraphs at No. 54, Rue Honore, near the Oratorie."

Description (physical):

Paper, wood. L 63, W 48.5 cm

Location:
1411 W Street SE Washington,District of Columbia 20020
Identifier:
FRDO 322
Institution:
Frederick Douglass National Historic Site

Haitian President Florvil Hyppolite

Date:
c. 1893
Creator:
Watson
Publisher/Studio:
Port-Au-Prince

President of Haiti from (1889-1896), Florvil Hyppolite, gave this portrait to Mr. Douglass at the World Columbian Exposition. The exposition was held in Chicago, IL from 1892-1893. The French inscription reads: “Sincere regards to F. Douglass from Hyppolite President of Haite.” Mr. Douglass was a co-commissioner appointed by the government of Haiti.

Description (physical):

Paper, wood. L 64, W 54.5 cm

Location:
1411 W Street SE Washington,District of Columbia 20020
Identifier:
FRDO 159
Institution:
Frederick Douglass National Historic Site

Frederick Douglass With Madam Hyppolite In Haiti

Date:
c. 1871
Creator:
James E. Taylor

Frederick Douglass wearing a wide brimmed Panama hat & carrying a riding crop. He stands a few steps below Madam Hyppolite, wife of the Haitian president. She is wearing a riding habit. Under the grant administration, Douglass was assistant secretary of the commission of inquiry to Santo Dominago in 1871. In this scene Douglass is questioning the residents. Bottom right bears the signature, James E. Taylor. (James E. Taylor (1839-1901) was an illustrator for the Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper.)

Description (physical):

Paper. W 59, L 4 cm

Location:
1411 W Street SE Washington,District of Columbia 20020
Identifier:
FRDO 157
Institution:
Frederick Douglass National Historic Site

Slop Jar

Date:
1881-1883
Creator:
Haynes
Publisher/Studio:
Baltimore, MD

The house did not have a bathroom. Once the chamber pot was filled, the waste was put into the slop jar and taken to the outhouse.

Description (physical):

Ceramic. H 36, Dia 89 cm

Location:
1411 W Street SE Washington,District of Columbia 20020
Identifier:
FRDO 1912
Institution:
Frederick Douglass National Historic Site

L'Ours Dentiste

Date:
1864-1870
Creator:
By Christophe Fratin

The French sculptor was well known for his figures of animals, in particular, bears engaged in human activities. This cire perdue [lost wax process] sculpture on Mr. Douglass' desk in his study features two bears. One is doing dental work on the other bear seated in a dental chair. The dentist has a pair of pliers in one hand. The other hand restrains the seated patient bear.

Description (physical):

Metal. H 6.2, Dia 33 cm

Location:
1411 W Street SE Washington,District of Columbia 20020
Identifier:
FRDO 1894
Institution:
Frederick Douglass National Historic Site

Lincoln Cane

Date:
1860s

Originally owned by President Abraham Lincoln and given to Frederick Douglass by Mary Todd Lincoln after her husband's death in recognition of Douglass' recruiting efforts during the Civil War. Mr. Douglass at his residence in Rochester, New York wrote a thank you letter to Mrs. Abraham Lincoln on August 17, 1865. In the letter he thanked Mrs. Lincoln for given him the late president Abraham Lincoln's favorite walking stick. Source: Life and Writings of Frederick Douglass, Vol. III. Edited by Philip S. Foner, 1950.

Description (physical):

Wood, metal, antler. L 89, D 13 cm

Location:
1411 W Street SE Washington,District of Columbia 20020
Identifier:
FRDO 1898
Institution:
Frederick Douglass National Historic Site

Frederick Douglass

Date:
1883
Creator:
Sarah J. Eddy

Douglass is holding the baton that symbolized his authority during his tenure as marshal of the District of Columbia. Douglass sat for this portrait during two visits to Rhode Island in the spring and summer of 1883. The artist, Eddy, was a sculptress and painter and a member of the wealthy Rhode Island family. She was active in reform, abolition and feminism movements.

Description (physical):

Canvas, oil. H 163, W 124.5 cm

Location:
1411 W Street SE Washington,District of Columbia 20020
Identifier:
FRDO 125
Institution:
Frederick Douglass National Historic Site

Field Artillery Sponge Bucket

Date:
c. 1861

FIELD ARTILLERY SPONGE BUCKET, COMPLETE WITH WOODEN COVER (FLOAT) ATTACHED TO IRON BAIL WITH LINK CHAIN.

Description (physical):

Material: Iron, Wood. H: 23, Di: 20 Cm.

Location:
12521 Lee Highway Manassas, Virginia 20109
Identifier:
MANA 1687
Institution:
Manassas National Battlefield Park

Joined Pair Of Brown Leather Medical Saddlebags

Date:
c. 1861

JOINED PAIR OF BROWN LEATHER MEDICAL SADDLEBAGS. EACH BAG HAS 2 CLOSURE STRAPS SEWN TO FLAP SECURED BY SMALL METAL BUCKLES (1 MISSING) AT LOWER SIDE OF EACH BAG; LEATHER LOOPS SEWN TO INTERIOR OF EACH BAG TO SECURE BOTTLES/VIALS (NONE PRESENT). STITCHING PARTING ON SIDE OF ONE BAG.

Description (physical):

Material: Leather, Iron. L: 80, W: 28, D: 11 Cm. Leather Lacks Pliability And The Surface Shows Cracks Especially On The Flaps And Spacer Connecting The Two Bags. Stitching On Side Of Bags Shows Old Repairs And Is Parting On One Side Of One Bag. One Flap Closure Buckle Is Missing (3 Remain). Previously Exposed To Mold With Some Traces Remaining In Seems And Around Stitching

Location:
12521 Lee Highway Manassas, Virginia 20109
Identifier:
MANA 1056
Institution:
Manassas National Battlefield Park