Los Angeles, CA
The resonator guitar was developed around 1925 by John Dopyera. Its amplification resonator, mounted under the bridge, was a concept adapted from the banjo. A variety of these guitars with metal bodies was produced by the National String Instrument Corporation, co-founded by Dopyera. The instruments were popular in country, blues, and especially Hawaiian music. Introduced in 1927, this lap-steel model features three aluminum speaker-shaped cones built into the top. Unlike earlier acoustics, this guitar's sound is created by the vibrations of the resonator cones, not of the body itself. Sol Hoopii, the best-known Hawaiian guitarist at the time, helped make this model briefly popular until the advent of the louder electric guitar.
National Museum of American History Room 334, MRC 604 14th Street and Constitution Avenue NW Smithsonian Institution P.O. Box 37012 Washington, DC 20013-7012
Washington DC , District of Columbia
Smithsonian National Museum of American History