- Historic Sites
Allegheny County Courthouse And Jail
Designed by famed architect Henry Hobson Richardson, the Allegheny County Courthouse and Jail complex is the most lasting symbol of Allegheny County. Completed in 1888, the architecture is considered a classic example of the Richardsonian Romanesque technique, incorporating Syrian, Byzantine, Gothic, and Renaissance styles in its varied archways, towers, windows, and turrets. The jail, which was officially closed in 1995, has been converted into a new combined home of the juvenile and family sections of the Common Pleas Court.