Battery C Flag

41279

keys_index
actualNumberOfElementsInArray-1

Return to Search Results | New Search


Add Tag | Comment | Rate | Share

Save Record to:

Battery C Flag

Advertisements for specific products, services or destinations on this website are for the information of the public, and do not constitute an endorsement or recommendation by this institution, its officers, employees or agents.

Title:  

Battery C Flag
Date:
c. 1864

Content Description: 

In 1838 Battery C, 3rd Regiment, commanded by Captain Samuel Ringgold became the first artillery battery to receive horses so that every soldier was mounted. Commonly known as a flying battery because of their capability for rapid movement, Ringgold's battery was soon followed by three other batteries, one from each of the four artillery regiments. The flying batteries played a decisive role in winning the Mexican War battle honors. Around the edge, the flag honors the Battery's service during the battles of Palo Alto, Resaca de la Palma, Buena Vista, and Monterey. The "Saved the Day February 23, 1847" refers to the battle of Buena Vista where the battery was key in defeating a much larger Mexican force. The numerous Civil War engagements in which the battery fought filled in the rest of the flag.

Location:
1713 Southwest 11th Street Lawton, OK 73501
Identifier:
2010.7100.0001

ShareThis