- Historic Sites
Advertisements for specific products, services or destinations on this website are for the information of the public, and do not constitute an endorsement or recommendation by this institution, its officers, employees or agents.
Publisher/Studio:Boeing Aircraft Co.
The Boeing F4B/P-12 series served as the primary fighter of the U.S. Navy and U.S. Army Air Corps in the early 1930s, and it remained in service in numerous roles until the early 1940s. It was the last wooden-winged, biplane fighter produced by Boeing and used by the U.S. military. The large quantity of F4B/P-12s built and purchased helped to establish Boeing as an important aircraft manufacturer and to sustain the firm through the economic hardships of the Great Depression. Total production of the F4B/P-12 series reached 586. The fourth and final version of the design was the F4B-4, 92 of which were built. Twenty-one were assigned to the U.S. Marine Corps. The NASM F4B-4 is one of these. It was assigned to Marine Fighting Squadron 10, and served there until July 1933. It was then transferred to VF-9M at Quantico, Virginia, where it flew until 1939.
H: 2.9m, W: 9.2m, L: 6.2m, Wt: 2354lbs.
Location:Independence Ave at 6th Street, SW Washington, District of Columbia 20560