- Historic Sites
This building was constructed by the Works Project Administration in 1937 at a cost of $73,000 to commemorate the 100-year anniversary of the signing of Florida’s first constitution. Senators Claude Pepper and Charles Andrews worked diligently to secure approval and funding for the building. This simple rectangular building designed with Art Deco stylistic elements by architect Hughell Crockett remains largely unchanged although it was originally painted green. (from website.) It was built on the site of the convention that drafted Florida's constitution, and today serves a number of civic and social purposes.