Cessna O-1A Bird Dog

40768

keys_index
actualNumberOfElementsInArray-1

Return to Search Results | New Search


Add Tag | Comment | Rate | Share

Save Record to:

Cessna O-1A Bird Dog

Advertisements for specific products, services or destinations on this website are for the information of the public, and do not constitute an endorsement or recommendation by this institution, its officers, employees or agents.

Title:  

Cessna O-1A Bird Dog
Date:
1950
Publisher/Studio:
Wichita, KS: Cessna Aircraft Company, Inc.

Content Description: 

In the Korean War the Bird Dog, affectionately called "the jeep with wings," was used for a variety of missions including artillery spotting, laying communication wire, evacuating wounded and dropping supplies and flares. Then designated the L-19, it was frequently used as an observation platform for field commanders. In September 1962, the Bird Dog was re-designated as the O-1A-the first all metal, high-wing, single-engine aircraft to see service in U.S. Army aviation. During the War in Southeast Asia, the U.S. Air Force used the O-1A as an airborne Forward Air Controller (FAC) for jet fighters, marking targets with phosphorus rockets. The Museum's O-1A served primarily as a training platform accumulating more than 10,000 flying hours during its career. The aircraft was restored by the U.S. Army, Field Maintenance Division at Davidson Army Air Field, Ft. Belvoir, Virginia, as Mobile Miss, an O-1A that was assigned to the 74th Aviation Company (Aerial Surveillance) near Saigon in 1972.

Physical Description: 

H: 2.28m, W: 10.9m, L: 7.6m, Wt: 1400lbs., Top speed: 208km/hr.

Location:
Independence Ave at 6th Street, SW Washington,District of Columbia 20560
Identifier:
19780403000a

ShareThis