Confederate Frame Torpedo

50612

keys_index
actualNumberOfElementsInArray-1

Return to Search Results | New Search


Add Tag | Comment | Rate | Share

Save Record to:

Confederate Frame Torpedo

Advertisements for specific products, services or destinations on this website are for the information of the public, and do not constitute an endorsement or recommendation by this institution, its officers, employees or agents.

Title:  

Confederate Frame Torpedo

Content Description: 

Captain Francis D. Lee invented the frame torpedo-mine to help defend his native Charleston, South Carolina. The captain filled cast-iron shells with gunposder, then mounted them on heavy timbers, which he secured to the bottom of the harbor. Lying three feet under water, these would detonate when a ship struck the percussion igniters in the torpedo's casing. Charleston's defenders placed these mines in the Ashley River in March 1863 and between Fort Sumter and Sullivan Island in July 1863. After the fall of Charleston, Union engineers removed all of the torpedoes from the harbor. Ironically, the only ship to be sunk by this weapon was the Confederate transport Marion, which accidentally struck one on the night of April 6, 1863.

Location:
805 Kidder Breese Street SE,District of Columbia,Washington,20374
Identifier:
2011.0672.0070

ShareThis