- Historic Sites
The First Capitol site features two buildings used during the 1836 Territorial Legislative session. The first was the Council House where the legislators met. The second building was a lodging house for the legislators. Both structures were eventually used as residences. The lodging house became the residence of territorial Supreme Court Chief Justice Charles Dunn. Both were later converted to livestock barns. In 1910 the Wisconsin Federation of Women's Clubs began raising funds for the restoration of the buildings. In 1924 the Council House was moved to its current site and restored. In 1956 the lodging house was moved to the site and restored. During this time it was operated by the Department of Natural Resources. In 1994 the site became part of the Wisconsin Historical Society.