- Historic Sites
Advertisements for specific products, services or destinations on this website are for the information of the public, and do not constitute an endorsement or recommendation by this institution, its officers, employees or agents.
Publisher/Studio:Kalamazoo, MI: Gibson Inc.
The angular Explorer was introduced as part of a line of guitars designed by Gibson's Ted McCarty in 1958. These new and unusually shaped instruments were made possible by their solid-body construction. Without the need for hollow sound chambers, guitars could be made in almost any style, as long as they were comfortable to play. Like its Flying V companion, the Explorer was considered too radical at the time and was soon discontinued. It was reissued in the late 1970s and 1980s to greater success.
Location:National Museum of American History Room 334, MRC 604 14th Street and Constitution Avenue NW Smithsonian Institution P.O. Box 37012 Washington, DC 20013-7012 Washington DC , District of Columbia