- Historic Sites
Governor Ross Mansion And Plantation
This home belonged to William Henry Harrison Ross, who was the Governor of Delaware from 1851 to 1855. And although he was instrumental in bringing a railroad connecting to Philadelphia to southern Delaware, when the Civil War began, he was forced to flee to England when Delaware remained with the Union, as Ross was a Confederate sympathizer. He left behind this home which serves as a reminder of the antebellum period. The home itself is a restored, 3-story Italian-style Victorian home. The site also has the only still-standing slave quarters in the state of Delaware.