- Historic Sites
Advertisements for specific products, services or destinations on this website are for the information of the public, and do not constitute an endorsement or recommendation by this institution, its officers, employees or agents.
During the War of 1812, the officer or petty officer in charge of firing the gunboat's cannon used a pick for cleaning the artillery pieces' touch holes. The discovery of this small pick and a swivel gun mount proved that the gunboat carried lighter artillery pieces in addition to its two large cannon. Swivel guns allowed the gunboat to fire at British personnel, while the large ones fired at enemy vessels.
Location:805 Kidder Breese Street SE,District of Columbia,Washington,20374