- Historic Sites
Hale Byrnes House
Once the site of a war council that included Washington and Lafayette, this house played a key role in the American Revolution.
This historic house, built in 1750, was used in 1777 as a meeting place for Gen. George Washington and his staff, including Gen. Lafayette, between the Battle of Cooch's Bridge in Delaware and the Battle of Brandywine in Pennsylvania. Hale-Byrnes House is a property of the Delaware Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs, administered by the Delaware Society for the Preservation of Antiquities.