- Historic Sites
The Sewell family’s house was one of Miami’s most prominent homes. Halissee Hall was acquired by the University of Miami in 1932 and, over the years, the University of Miami School of Medicine and Jackson Memorial Hospital grew up around the former estate. In 1997, the Medical Faculty Association took the initiative to undertake a complete restoration of this National Historic Register structure. When completed, Halissee will be home to the School of Medicine’s Faculty Club and will host receptions, conferences and lectures – once again, entertaining men and women vital to the growth of Miami and South Florida.