Long known locally as the Hampton Historical Society, the society was actually incorporated in 1925 as the Meeting House Green Memorial Association to honor the original settlers of Hampton. A descendant of one of those families, Edward Tuck, generously donated funds to purchase a house on the site of the original meeting house green. The land surrounding the house was laid out as a park, and the house was turned into a small museum, appropriately named the Tuck Museum.
The museum has continued to grow. Other buildings on the Green have joined the main house as exhibition areas. There is a nineteenth-century schoolhouse, a farm museum, and a fire-fighting museum.