- Historic Sites
Historic Rosedale Plantation
The neighbors called it "Frew's Folly," though the reason remains obscure. Perhaps it was the chrome yellow trim, a shocking contrast to the plank and log style houses common to the backcountry. It is unknown when the house became known as Rosedale. Originally part of a 911 acre plantation, it was built in 1815 by Archibald Frew, who was a merchant, postmaster and tax collector. The house was occupied from the 1830s by D. T. Caldwell and his family. Dr. Caldwell, in addition to his medical practice, ran the plantation with the support of 2 slave families consisting of about 20 people. The gardens and grounds of Rosedale are a treasure in their own right and are perfect for a leisurely walk.