Hixon House

Hixon House

Begun in 1859 by lumber baron Gideon Hixon, this Italianate house features beautiful woodwork and lavish interior decoration. His wife, Ellen, decorated the Hixon House in the Aesthetic fashion, and it has been preserved much as it was after its last remodeling and redecoration around 1900. The Hixon House has approximately 90% of its original furnishings, making it unusual among historic houses. It is a National Historic Landmark.