John Ridgely, Jr.

40810

keys_index
actualNumberOfElementsInArray-1

Return to Search Results | New Search


Add Tag | Comment | Rate | Share

Save Record to:

John Ridgely, Jr.

Advertisements for specific products, services or destinations on this website are for the information of the public, and do not constitute an endorsement or recommendation by this institution, its officers, employees or agents.

Title:  

John Ridgely, Jr.
Date:
1951
Creator:
Stanislav Rembski

Content Description: 

John Ridgely, Jr. (1882-1959), the son of Capt. John Ridgely (1851-1938) and Helen West Stewart Ridgely (1854-1929), was the sixth and final master of the Hampton estate. In the late 1920s, he established the Hampton Development Company which constructed and sold houses on Hampton lands near the heart of the Home Farm. John was responsible for selling the mansion with some of its furnishings and 43 acres of land to the National Park Service in 1947 with funds for the purchase and restoration provided by the Avalon Foundation, a Mellon family foundation. This portrait by Stanislaw Rembski (1896-1998), a Polish immigrant who became a leading portrait painter in mid-20th century Baltimore, shows John after he and his second wife Jane Rodney Ridgely (1902-1978) had left Hampton and moved to the Hampton Lower House across the road.

Physical Description: 

Material: Oil on canvas. H: 88.9cm, W: 63.5cm.

Location:
535 Hampton Lane Towson,Maryland 21286
Identifier:
HAMP2604

ShareThis