- Historic Sites
Ker Place was built around 1799 in the Grand Federal style. It has elaborate millwork and sophisticated composition ornamentation on the mantles and crown mouldings. It is furnished to appear as it would have in the early 1800's. Although no Ker furniture is known to exist, the period furnishings reflect what was in the rooms during the time that the Kers lived there. Ongoing research of probate inventories and other personal papers has helped in the recreation. Exhibits on local history are located in the cellar and on the 2nd floor. A maritime exhibit is housed in a separate building. A recreated 19th century garden surrounds the house courtesy of the Garden Club of Virginia.