Lillian & Albert Small Jewish Museum

Lillian & Albert Small Jewish Museum

The synagogue is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the D.C. Inventory of Historic Sites, and the Historic American Buildings Survey. It is an Official Project of the Save America’s Treasures program. Founded by volunteers in 1960, the Jewish Historical Society of Greater Washington was incorporated in 1965 as a nonprofit organization dedicated to interpreting Jewish history in the greater Washington area. In 1969, galvanized by the pending demolition of the oldest synagogue building in the nation’s capital, Society members arranged for the historic building to be moved three city blocks to its present location. After extensive restoration, the synagogue was rededicated and opened to the public as the Lillian & Albert Small Jewish Museum in 1975. The Society has purchased and moved into a building to serve as its first permanent home. The 8,000-square foot building, located at 701 4th Street, NW, is located just steps from the historic 1876 synagogue. The new building will house gallery space for outreach activities as well as administrative offices.