Lincoln's Top Hat

62440

keys_index
actualNumberOfElementsInArray-1

Return to Search Results | New Search


Add Tag | Comment | Rate | Share

Save Record to:

Lincoln's Top Hat

Advertisements for specific products, services or destinations on this website are for the information of the public, and do not constitute an endorsement or recommendation by this institution, its officers, employees or agents.

Title:  

Lincoln's Top Hat
Date:
1860s
Publisher/Studio:
Transfer from the War Department with permission from Mary Lincoln, 1867

Content Description: 

At six feet four inches tall, Lincoln towered over most of his contemporaries. He chose to stand out even more by wearing high top hats. He acquired this hat from J. Y. Davis, a Washington hat maker. Lincoln had the black silk mourning band added in remembrance of his son Willie. No one knows when he obtained the hat, or how often he wore it. The last time he put it on was to go to Ford’s Theatre on April 14, 1865. After Lincoln’s assassination, the War Department preserved his hat and other material left at Ford’s Theatre. With permission from Mary Lincoln, the department gave the hat to the Patent Office, which, in 1867, transferred it to the Smithsonian Institution. Joseph Henry, the Secretary of the Smithsonian, ordered his staff not to exhibit the hat “under any circumstance, and not to mention the matter to any one, on account of there being so much excitement at the time.” It was immediately placed in a basement storage room. The American public did not see the hat again until 1893, when the Smithsonian lent it to an exhibition hosted by the Lincoln Memorial Association. Today it is one of the Institution’s most treasured objects.

Location:
National Museum of American History, 14th Street and Constitution Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20013-7012

ShareThis