Long Camp Historical Site

Long Camp Historical Site

On Highway 12 near Kamiah a sign at milepost 68 notes that the Lewis and Clark expedition spent 3 weeks among the Nez Perce in late spring 1806 waiting for the snow to melt in the Bitterroots so that the expedition could continue east. Also called Camp Chopunnish (a word Lewis used for the Ni Mii Pu) or Camp Kamiah. The actual camp site is on private land.