Located in the heart of downtown Monroe, this imposing Georgian style public building was built as a post office in 1910, on the site of General and Mrs. Custer’s home. It was acquired in 1972 by the La-Z-Boy Chair Foundation as the second home for the Museum. Founded in 1938 by the Monroe County Historical Society, the museum is presently operated by the Monroe County Historical Commission. It houses one of the largest collections of 18th and 19th century artifacts relating to Southeast Michigan. Only a small percentage of the total collection can be exhibited at one time; many exhibits are changed each year.