- Historic Sites
The mansion, a focal point of the estate, evolved from a fieldstone farmhouse in 1781 to its present turn-of-the-century appearance. It is actually three structures moved together. Visitors enter the mansion through a Greek Revival portico to see a Renaissance great hall, a Jacobean dining room, a French drawing room, a library and a display which highlights the life and times of Governor Davis. Because the Davis' traveled widely, the furnishings are of varied styles and eras, including 16th century Flemish tapestries, Renaissance and neo-Renaissance pieces, l'art nouveau, silver and glass, fine paintings and porcelain figurines collected by Mrs. Davis. The grounds of Morven Park include over 1,000 acres of lawns, fields, and wooded areas, along with the boxwood gardens. Much of the property has been placed in conservation easements in order to preserve the open space for future generations. Morven Park has been called an “oasis” in the midst of Northern Virginia’s rapid development. Areas that once saw slaves working on the plantation, Union and Confederate troops skirmishing during the Civil War, and pure bred livestock grazing in the fields now host thousands of visitors each year attending equestrian events, special activities, guided tours and educational programs. A fox hunting museum is located on the grounds, as well as a collection of 70 horse-drawn carriages and an equestrian center.