Nunns Provo Station Power Plant

Nunns Provo Station Power Plant

Built in 1897 by Luclen L. Nunn at an estimated cost of just $50,000, the plant harnessed the power of the Provo River to generate electricity and transmit power over a distance of 32 miles to mining operations in Mercur, Utah. This was almost three times the voltage of any existing line in the nation at that time, and was by far the longest. Although Nunn sold his interests to Utah Power and Light Company in 1913, his innovative ideas and successes helped shape the future of electrical power for all of us.