- Historic Sites
Paine Gillam Scott Museum
In 1858 John W. Paine, a native of New York State, came to St. Johns from Rochester Colony where he had been a merchant in partnership with Charles Kipp since 1852. Kipp moved to St. Johns in 1856 and opened a hardware store. Paine followed in 1858, opening a general store the same year. On Oct. 6, 1858, Paine bought Lots 3 and 4 of Block 13 facing Maple Street. On this site in 1860 Paine built his imposing brick home. The same year he also built the first brick store in St. Johns.