The Phoenix Police Department celebrated its 125th anniversary on May 3, 2006. The Phoenix Police Department began as Marshals 125 years ago on this day and later transitioned into our current police officers.
The Arizona Humanities Council funded a study of the artifacts to determine if enough material existed to open a small museum and it was determined that there was. Barrister Place was selected as the permanent site of the museum. Through generous donations from Motorola, the area was painted and re-carpeted. Home Depot, Store #455, donated construction material for the creation of exhibit areas. The Police Department provided phones and an alarm system. Volunteers prepared the exhibits including a mock up of a 1910 city street and an old jail cell.