- Historic Sites
Preservation Society Of Newport County
In keeping with its mission, the society strives to offer its members and the public a comprehensive view of each property's architecture, interiors, landscapes and social history.
The society is headquartered in a three-story Romanesque Revival mansion, constructed in 1888 as a summer residence for William H. Osgood of New York. Its last private owner was Herbert Claiborne Pell, former U.S. Ambassador to Portugal and Hungary. After several incarnations as a school building, the property was purchased in 1992 by the Preservation Society, which conducted an extensive restoration and renovation of the building for use as its administrative headquarters.