Racing Sloop "Bull's Eye"

50540

keys_index
actualNumberOfElementsInArray-1

Return to Search Results | New Search


Add Tag | Comment | Rate | Share

Save Record to:

Racing Sloop "Bull's Eye"

Advertisements for specific products, services or destinations on this website are for the information of the public, and do not constitute an endorsement or recommendation by this institution, its officers, employees or agents.

Title:  

Racing Sloop "Bull's Eye"
Date:
1914
Creator:
Nathaniel Herreshoff, Bristol, RI

Content Description: 

Known variously as a "Bull's Eye," "Buzzard's Bay 12.5 footer," "Buzzards Bay Boy Boat," or a "Doughfish," Nathaniel Green Herreshoff designed and built the first twenty of these small and popular "one-design" sport sailers between 30 October and 14 November 1914 (hulls 744-762.) Capable of seating several people, they measured only 12.5 feet at the waterline and originally sold for $420 each. Many more were built over the years and production of the boat ceased in about 1939. The Herreshoff Manufacturing Company of Bristol, RI, designed and built boats, sail and engine-powered yachts, America's Cup racers, and military vessels from 1878 to 1945.

Location:
Carderock Division 9500 MacArthur Boulevard West Bethesda, MD 20817-5700,Maryland,West Bethesda

ShareThis