- Historic Sites
Advertisements for specific products, services or destinations on this website are for the information of the public, and do not constitute an endorsement or recommendation by this institution, its officers, employees or agents.
America's first successful use of interchangeable parts took place in Harpers Ferry. During the 1820s and 1830s John Hall perfected machinery for producing interchangeable parts for rifles, contributing not only to the success of his rifle works, but to the development of the American factory system. These rifle fragments were recovered from the 1861 arsenal fire set by retreating Union forces.
Location:West Virginia,Harpers Ferry,25425