- Historic Sites
Advertisements for specific products, services or destinations on this website are for the information of the public, and do not constitute an endorsement or recommendation by this institution, its officers, employees or agents.
Publisher/Studio:The Charleston Museum
One of a set of six, these chairs were used by delegates to South Carolina's "Secession Convention" at St. Andrew's Hall, on Broad Street, December 20, 1860. The assembly later marched to South Carolina Institute Hall for the ceremonial signing of the Ordinance of Secession that evening. The remaining chairs, the accompanying table and the Secession President's chair are on permanent exhibition in the Charleston Museum's Civil War gallery.